The Electoral Commission (EC) has stated that it will publish details of how it intends to remove the names of the 56, 000 who were recorded as having presented their National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) cards as proof of identtity during registrations.
A statement signed by a Deputy Chairperson at the EC, Georgina Opoku Amankwaa, said: “The Commission is taking the appropriate steps to comply with the Court’s directives and would make same public in the coming week.”
Last Tuesday, the Supreme Court ordered the EC to delete the names of the NHIS registrants with ‘immediate effect.’
However, the EC was asked to give all persons captured on the list enough notice to present proof of citizenship and re-register.
The list of 56, 000 names of NHIS registrants was presented to the apex court after a ruling had ordered the EC to present a list of all people who used the NHIS cards.
The EC had earlier complained that it did not have the power to delete the names of NHIS registrants from the voters’ roll but has stated that the recent Supreme Court ruling had sorted that out.
“The Court was very clear in stating that its order supercedes the relevant provisions of the Public Elections (Registration of Voters) Regulations, 2016 (C.I. 91). This essentially means the Commission is now empowered to delete such names, while ensuring that they are not disenfranchised,” the statement said.
“The Commission welcomes this new development which will help the EC and all stakeholders to ensure a clean and credible register ahead of the elections.”
By: Edwin Kwakofi/ghanadecides.com/Ghana