The minister nominee for Trade and Industry, Alan Kyerematen has said that plans for the government’s one-district one-factory project were started under the Kufuor administration.
According to him, studies had been done on most of the districts in the country at the time with the hope of starting the project but the party lost the elections before those plans could be realised.
He added that business plans had been secured from about 100 districts in the country on possible factories to be set up
“This is 1-district 1-factory initiative is actually an initiative that we started during our previous time of office in government, and I superintended this initiative,” Mr. Kyeremanten said, speaking at his ministerial vetting on Monday.
“By 2007, there were about 110 districts at the time, and we had done consultations with the District Assemblies, identified 3 projects in each district, done diagnostic studies, prepared full business plans, and had consultations with a number of business partners and literally we were on the verge of taking off.”
Alan Kyerematen added that given the importance of industrialisation, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) decided to reintroduce the project and it was a major part of their campaigns ahead of the elections.
“We’ve done an extensive study of all the districts, the 110 [we developed earlier], still encompasses many of the districts that we have now. This was in consultation with the District Assemblies,” he said.
He also expressed regret that the National Democratic Congress (NDC) government did not implement the project when they took office
By: Edwin Kwakofi/ghanadecides.com/Ghana